submitted by Linda Hill
What a joy it was to share leadership with twenty Inclusive Leaders from diverse generations, cultures, abilities and other backgrounds who came together to co-facilitate welcoming and inclusive activities during our National Day of the Child family celebration in Duncan, BC, Canada, Saturday, November 23, 2019.
We showed up along with over 100 more volunteers to support this fun, free, family celebration organized by Children’s Rights Advocate, Mary Dolan and the Family and Children Council of the Cowichan Region and Communities. What a beautiful day of lifting up our children and youth.
Inclusive Leadership is for everyone who is concerned about oppression and marginalization; everyone who values diversity and inclusion; everyone who has experienced or wants to experience Inclusive Leadership in action. You are warmly invited to join us in what is now twenty celebratory years of peer-to-peer in-person and on-line Inclusive Leadership education!
Upcoming In Person Inclusive Leadership Events:
- Tuesday, November 19, 2019, Art in Community Workshop (a youth focused Inclusive Leadership event), 4-6 pm, Duncan, BC, Canada.
- Saturday, November 23, 2019, National Day of the Child Fun, Free, Family Celebration, 11 am to 3 pm, Duncan, BC, Canada
- Saturday, November 23, 2019, Inclusive Leadership Co-operative Annual General meeting, 4 pm to 7 pm, Duncan, BC, Canada
- Wednesday, November 27, 2019, Build a Better BC for People with Diverse Abilities, 5 pm to 7:30 pm, Ladysmith, BC, Canada
- For 1, 2, or 3 days February 21 to 24, 2020, Save the date for our Gathering of Inclusive Leadership Facilitators, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. Details to be announced.
- Friday, May 1 to Sunday May 3, 2020, Inclusive Leadership Adventure 2020 (a life-changing intergenerational/intercultural weekend), Denman Island, BC, Canada.
Upcoming Online Inclusive Leadership Events:
- Continuous Enrollment, Are you ready to sign up for our guided online quest to “Discover Your Inclusive Leadership Potential”? Are you ready to return as a mentor? No time like the present to join us!
- Saturday, November 23, Inclusive Leadership Co-operative Annual General meeting, Participate online via zoom, 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm Pacific Time.
- Wednesday, November 27, Facilitating Inclusive Leadership Workshop, Participate online via zoom, 10:00 am to 11:30 am Pacific Time
- Saturday, Dec 7, 2019, (and the first Saturday of every month) Inclusive Leadership Heart to Heart Cafe, 10:00 am to 11:30 am Pacific Time
- Spring 2020, More Inclusive Leadership Online Education opportunities to be announced.
Book Review by Linda Hill
When I was growing up in the 1950’s, my parents and grandparents taught me that it was important to remember WW1 and WW2 on Nov 11 so that we would never fight again. Much as I loved learning from my elders, I became quite skeptical about Remembrance Day during the Cuban Missile Crisis in the 1960’s. Remembering past wars has never seemed to me to be an effective way of stopping them.
“Are We Done Fighting Yet?” by Matthew Legge prods us to shift from remembering and pondering war, hate and division and take action to develop the courage and the skills involved in loving life.
Matthew is on a book tour through the West Coast of Canada from November 10 to 24, 2019. Scroll down to the end of the article for the dates, times and places he will be visiting. Continue reading
by Linda Hill and Kathryn Phillips
The Inclusive Leadership Co-operative is so pleased to be building bridges of collaboration with Human Rights and Education Volunteers at the University of Victoria, BC, Canada.
As part of our collaboration, students are invited to participate in our ongoing Discover Your Inclusive Leadership Potential Online Course and Inclusive Leaders who live in and near Victoria, BC, Canada are invited to participate in 5 Days of Human Rights Action at UVic November 4 to 8, 2019. Five Days of Human Rights Action encourages everyone on campus and the wider community to take concrete steps toward ending discrimination, harassment, and sexualized violence. Continue reading
Submitted by Linda Hill with thanks to Robert George, Isabel Rimmer and all community leaders who never stop showing up with your spirits of generosity.
Severn Cullis-Suzuki and Greta Thunberg were two leaders in a crowd of over ten-thousand leaders who showed up at the October 25, 2019 Fridays for Future rally in Vancouver, BC, Canada. During her speech, Greta acknowledged Severn for showing up at the age of 12 to address world leaders in Rio de Janeiro, 1992. Greta quoted what Severn had said. Continue reading
Take a moment to imagine cycling, walking, driving, or taking a bus through your neighbourhood one morning. Perhaps you are on your way to school, work, or a meeting. Maybe you are going shopping, doing errands, or on your way to to meet a friend at a park or recreation centre. Now imagine that, along the way and even after you arrive at your destination, everything is the same as it has always been except for one thing. That one change is this… Continue reading
Submitted by Chapman Msowoya
My name is Chapman Msowoya. I live in Mpika, Zambia, Africa with a dream to build a society that works for all people regardless of their ability.
I am so grateful to be sponsored by the Inclusive Leadership Cooperative to participate in two online courses. Both are rare opportunities for working towards my vision of creating a communities filled with peace, love and harmony for all people through our unique differences. Continue reading