Skills, Awareness, and Action Plans for
Living, Learning and Leading in Our Diverse World.
Friday, February 16, 9 am to Sunday February 18, 2 pm
Inviting professionals, students, volunteers and all leaders who are passionate about social diversity and biodiversity to join us in our 16th year of award-winning Participatory Action Education!
Come for a Friday Pro-D Day or for all 3 days of in-depth experiential education for cultivating and mentoring Inclusive Leadership skills, awareness and action plans.
- Cultivating Inclusive Leadership Pro-D day Friday February 16, 2018 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Cultivating Inclusive Leadership Weekend Friday, February 16 9:00 am to Sunday February 18 2:00 pm
“Inclusive Leadership is a strength-based focus where there is appreciative inquiry into group or community strengths. Inclusive Leadership focuses on what gives life to community-building, communicating needs and solutions. It gives a community a positive, solution-focused way of problem-solving. It brings people of all ages to the table, circle or forum. It celebrates what works, and gives room for dreaming, designing and celebrating.” (Wedlidi Speck, Director of Aboriginal Organizational Development, Government of BC)
Learn through Participatory Experiential Education, Co-operative Learning and Heart to Heart Interactions:
- Experience Cowichan Valley’s award winning inter-generational protocol for building inclusive, welcoming and sustaining communities.
- Meet new and experienced Inclusive Leaders from diverse cultures, generations, and other backgrounds.
- Learn with and from the founding facilitators of the Inclusive Leadership Co-operative (Dr. Linda Hill, Kix Citton, Linda McDaniels, Art Phipps).
- Safely, respectfully, equally, and joyfully develop your skills for connecting with differences, communicating with compassion, building bridges within and between groups, and standing up for diversity and inclusion.
- Be inspired by all the life-enriching ways we are caring for people and the planet.
- Leave with your own possible and inspiring plans for leading inclusively in schools, work-places and community settings where you work and volunteer.
Place: Cowichan Lake Education Centre, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada – a beautiful lake shore retreat setting.
Cost: Your fee includes tuition and handouts ($75 per day), delicious meals ($75 per day), and your choice of accommodation:
- Friday, Feb 16 Pro-D Day: $100 including lunch
- Friday, Feb 24 to Sunday, Feb 26: $225 for tuition plus food and accommodation
- Private motel room: $225 tuition plus $500 for food and accommodation = $725
- Double occupancy in a motel room: $225 tuition plus $400 for food and accommodation = $625
- Dormitory accommodation or commuting: $225 tuition plus $300 for food and accommodation = $525
- Sponsorships: We can waive tuition for anyone who faces financial barriers: $0 tuition plus $300 for food and accommodation = $300
Thursday evening: Participants from out of town can arrange to arrive at Cowichan Lake Education Centre the night before ($50 to $150 extra for bed and breakfast depending on your choice of accommodation)
Friday, February 16
8:00 am Registration and settling in
9:00 am Opening Circle (networking, gathering, overview of Inclusive Leadership skills, welcoming differences as gifts)
10:15 am Break
10:30 am Share leadership in building an inclusive and welcoming learning community based on safety, respect, equality and joy.
12:30 Choose one Cultivating Inclusive Leadership Workshop: Click here for workshop descriptions.
- Skills for Connecting With Differences
- Facilitating Heart to Heart Conversations
- What Do We Do? Anti-Discrimination First Aid
- Connecting with Nature
2:15 Break and snack
2:30 Community Reflection Circle
3:30 Time to say good bye to PRO-D participants
4:30 Jigsaw Learning: Cultivating Skills for Connecting with Differences Part 1: Click here for the optional preparatory reading
6:00 Dinner with Heart to Heart Groups
7:15 Heart to Heart Groups. Click here for the optional preparatory reading.
8:30 Presenting our diverse gifts to the community
9:00 Free time
Saturday, Feb 17
8:45 Cultivating Skills for Connecting with Differences Part 2
1:30 Choose 1 of these Cultivating Inclusive Leadership Workshops
- Skills for Connecting With Differences
- Compassionate Communication
- Building Bridges to welcoming and inclusive events, projects, programs, classrooms and groups
- Self Care Break
3:00 Challenge by Choice: Choose an Inclusive Leadership in the World Workshop offered by returning participants or a self care break
- Challenge by choice 1
- Challenge by choice 2
- Challenge by choice 3
- challenge by choice 4
- Self Care Break
6:30 Heart to Heart Groups
8:00 Inclusive Community Celebration
9:30 Free time
Sunday, February 18
8:45 Heart to Heart Groups
9:45 Stages of Change Action Planning . Click here for the optional preparatory pre-reading.
12:15 Closing Circle
1:00 Lunch, clean up and good-byes.
2:30 Option to join with co-facilitators in reflecting on the weekend
For more information and to register:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 250-746-6141
You are invited to bring your child/children and your favourite child-minder:
“We work for the children because children know what is needed. We work for children because they are the hope of the world.” (Josee Marti, Poet Laureate of Cuba).
Cultivating Inclusive Leadership is in-depth experiential education weekend designed for adults and motivated, mature youth who are passionate about social diversity and biodiversity. You are most welcome to bring your younger youth and children. Here are the three ways this can happen easily and joyfully.
- You could bring your favourite child-minder with you so that you can participate fully in the workshops.
- Or you can arrange with the ILC that we will hire a mature youth Inclusive Leader to be a childminder for your children.
- Some parents/guardians choose to come in the dual role of participant and child-minder. If you make this choice, then – with child-minding as a priority – you will miss some workshops.
Whatever way you choose to involve your children, they will experience an inclusive and welcoming inter-generational diversity education weekend. We are all enriched by the presence of children in Incluslve Leadership Learning Communities. Children, younger youth and child-minders are valued members of the Cultivating Inclusive Leadership learning community. Our younger community members are fully included in the opening circle and all community circles, meals, and celebratory times. During workshops, you will help your child/children and child-minder choose between participating in a workshop or creating their own adventure during the workshop sessions. Art, drama, sports equipment, an indoor space and the great outdoors will be available. (Please note that Cowichan Lake Education Centre requires children and youth to be supervised at all times and so unsupervised free play is not an option).
The cost for the pro-D day is $25 per child and per childminder. The cost for the weekend is $250 per child and per child minder.